18th January 2021, 12:00 - 11:00
Freelancer: Mentor Young Persons Service
Closing date: 4th January 2021
Interview date: 11th January 2021
(If you cannot make this date and are interested in applying please contact us)
Length of Service Level Agreement: 3 months (January 2021-March 31st 2021)
About the role:
We need mentors who can create change.
Are you organised, enthusiastic, resilient and thick skinned?
We need great team players who want to join York Mind who puts the young people at the heart of our thinking.
If you are creative, persistent and able to engage young people with social, emotional and mental health difficulties we’d love to hear from you.
We work with 8-25 year olds and aim to empower, nurture and support young people and their mental health and wellbeing.
The young people’s service pride themselves in building powerful positive relationships based on mutual trust, respect and a willingness to support young people reach their goals and full potential.
Mentors offer a safe emotional space, active listening and a dedicated time for young people to discuss their struggles, thoughts and feelings.
We are utterly committed to transforming life chances of children through preventative work that supports children and young people with social, emotional and mental health needs.
You will hold a caseload of children and young people with complex, multiple needs, delivering tailored 1:1 support sessions equipping our children, and young people with the tools, knowledge and support to engage and thrive and manage their mental health & wellbeing effectively.
At York Mind we work collaboratively with communities to enable children and young people with social, emotional, and mental health needs to unlock their full potential.
We build trust by being honest, transparent, and accountable in the way we work with children and young people, staff, and partners and by providing services and programmes whose outcomes are measurable and evidenced based.
Skills and Experience Required
- Experience of working positively with children and young people, able to engage successfully despite ‘challenging’ behaviour.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of working with children and young people with social, emotional and mental health difficulties, delivering sessions to groups and/or mentoring young people on a 1:1 basis.
- Experience of assessing the needs of children and young people who are at risk of significant harm
- Experience of providing support, advice and advocacy and communicating the needs of clients to other professionals
- High level of integrity and personal accountability
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment, be self-motivated, resilient and able to effectively manage your own wellbeing
- Able to quickly establish personal and professional credibility
- Ability to listen and empower others in problem solving
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- Total commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft packages, Outlook and databases
- Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding best practice and the ability to respond appropriately to any safeguarding concerns and to contribute to the continual improvement of safeguarding best practice at York Mind.
- Ability to promote safeguarding among colleagues, volunteers and vulnerable service users
- Up to date Disclosure and Barring Check (DBS) - within the last 12 months
- Public liability insurance (£1M minimum) and Private Indemnity insurance (£1M minimum)
- Health and Safety Policy or a commitment to York Mind’s Health and Safety Policy
- Equality and Diversity Policy, or a commitment to York Mind’s Equality and Diversity Policy.
If you are interested in this role, please complete the below expression of interest and return to email@example.com by 5.00pm on 4th January 2021. Interviews will be week commencing 11th January 2021.
If you would like an informal discussion about this post, please contact Nikera Davidson Young Persons Manager on 07483 167 931
Your completed expression of interest form should be returned to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: York Mind will be closed from 25th December 2020 until Monday 4th January 2021